Born in Cardiff, Helen read English at the University of Liverpool and worked in international development, consultancy, human resources and pensions management. She fled corporate life to work freelance while studying for a Creative Writing MA at Oxford Brookes University. Her stories and flash fiction have been shortlisted and published by Flash 500, 1000K Story, Reflex Press, Artificium and Love Sunday magazine.She is a keen cyclist, covering long distances if there aren’t any hills, sings in a choir and once appeared on stage at Carnegie Hall, New York in a multi-choir performance. She loves spending time in France. Helen is an Ambassador for the charity, Unseen, which works towards a world without slavery and donates her author talk fees, and a percentage of royalties, to the charity.
I’m excited to introduce you to this week’s top author post. I’m joined by Helen Matthews! Helen writes page-turning psychological suspense novels and is fascinated by the darker side of human nature and how a life can change in an instant. Her first novel, suspense thriller After Leaving the Village, won first prize in the opening pages category at Winchester Writers’ Festival, and was followed by Lies Behind the Ruin, domestic noir set in France, published by Hashtag Press. Her third novel Façade will be published by Darkstroke in late summer 2020, which is an imprint of Crooked Cat Books.
1. A photo of you that we won’t have seen everywhere else – This is a photo at a book signing in Barton’s indie bookshop, Leatherhead (now sadly closed).
2. Where do you write – This is where I write when I’m in France.
3. Use three photos or images to describe your personality – Cycling, singing (this one is in Carnegie Hall, New York) and Rolling Stones concert.
4. Share a photo of your favourite holiday destination – Beautiful Tenby.
5. Post a photo of something that you baked, learnt or made during lockdown – home grown peas.
Buy Helen’s book here: mybook.to/facade