I’ve just read an article that was so interesting that I read it twice! It was about an author who used Pinterest for marketing his books. I had never thought about Pinterest other than a fun way to connect with people who enjoy design ideas, like I do. I am now beginning to see things a bit differently.
The article stated that Twitter posts have a 24 minute viewing time lifespan, Facebook posts 90 minutes and Pinterest post, 3.5 months! This is because people often go back to their favourite pins and re-pin them, share them, or just admire them and show them to friends. The most viewed pins have some sort of useful message or meme on them. Women make up 80% of users on Pinterest. On average pins are re-pinned 11 times.
Some tips for a great pin.
- Design your pin to be tall and thin like a bookmark. This takes up less Pinterest real estate on each page and makes it more likely to be repined. Size 300 x 800 px.
- Give tips or pointers. People love to read short tips, like this list!
- Give the edges colour, so that they stand out.
- Add links to your pins, so that when they are shared so is your URL.
- Add descriptions to your pins. Don’t leave those spaces blank. Use the opportunity to tell people about yourself or your product.
Be the first to know when my next book is available! Follow me on social media for updates.
14 thoughts on “Pinterest for writers.”
These are great tips, Lizzie! I keep hearing about using Pintrest as part of an author’s platform, but now you’ve given me examples of how I can do that. Thanks!
Thanks! Helpful tips 👍
Thank you, Lizzie. You’ve made some excellent points. 🙂
You’re so welcome Gwen.
Excellent crash course on Pinterest!! Thank you, Lizzie.
Thanks, Lizzie! 🙂
Oh, wow! this is such a cool post. Pinterest totally overhwelms me but this is…helpful.
That’s great! Happy to be of help.
I have to put effort into this! Good information, thanks:)
I’ve tried to use Pinterest to promote my books but I find it difficult to work with. And my pins are boring! Eek!
I will post some pins I make here next Monday to give everyone some fresh ideas.
Pinterest is a lovely site, so easy to use and fun to be with… I will definitely be making the most of the time I spend there!
That’s great news!
I’m just about to start reading your latest book this weekend. I’ll leave a review.
That’s lovely news, Lizzie. Can I ask which one?